View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,226 Times in 4,653 Posts
cowl/hood blister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Freebeard, as I recall, Aerohead did not notice an improvement. It really seems like it would obstruct his vision, but that would entirely depend on his height. Driving my Subaru, I have thought that I could do the same thing, but I am 6'2".

I really want to know who made hoods that did not fit!
Yes,I have no A-B-A testing which demonstrated any improvement.
*There is data which shows a drag reduction for the downward parabolic curvature from Hucho and Fiat.
*And it should reduce the pressure peak at the cowl (which I notice from diminished passive ventilation capacity)
*And it changes the effective angle between the cowl/windshield intersection.
*In a rain,the air will push water all the way uphill to the trailing edge of the blister which suggests that the TBL is receiving copious amounts of kinetic energy.
* I suppose that all I could say about the blister,is that it doesn't hurt anything.
*Without it,the hood collapses in front of the cowl and booms(adhesive gave up and sheetmetal is no longer bonded to to underlying framework).
*My racing bucket is mounted a bit high and at 6' 1" I can look right over the blister except along the passenger side hood top (not a problem so far)
*Lastly,I covered the blister-to-windshield gap completely at Bonneville with cardboard and duct tape and saw no change in top speed at 105-mph,measured to 1/1000 of a mph.

Last edited by aerohead; 04-19-2014 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: add image
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-19-2014), niky (04-20-2014), Xist (04-19-2014)