View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I agree that the idea of buying a car now in the idea it will appreciate faster than inflation is not very good, but ifI didn't have my Mustang, I couldn't have moved up from hourly to salary and doubled my income, do my side work, or work to be fully employed in another field.
Seriously? You think you couldn't have done all that without your Mustang specifically? You couldn't have bought a 20 year old Civic or Metro, ridden a bike or scooter, etc? I'm very curious about why.

Or to take something similar, I can't do my work without a computer, so I buy them from time to time. Are they investments? Well, I don't expect anyone to pay me for couple of old 586 towers, or even the old ThinkPad or Dell notebook that are sitting in the closet. (Heck, I probably couldn't get more than a few bucks for the T61 ThinkPad I'm using now.) So they're not investments, they're business expenses - and get deducted as such on Schedule C, rather than on Schedule D.

Or to go a little further, I need electricity to run them, and reasonable internet access for work, and I get monthly bills for those. When I pay the bills, am I investing? No, I'm consuming.