View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
mrmojo
ecomodding newb

Marilyn - '02 Chevrolet Prizm Base
90 day: 33.95 mpg (US)
After two more tanks of petrol, I've averaged about 32-33 mpg, 33 mpg overall for the (i.e., my) lifetime of the car.
I haven't done any A/B/A testing, so all I can attribute the first tank getting 34 mpg is the Seafoam I added to the tank.
I had a clunking in my front end that happened near the end of that first tank, so I took it to the dealer. Turned out to be the sway bar link; replaced and voila! no more clunking. So I'm back to coasting whenever possible.
Money is very tight right now, so even saving $60 for the AutoGauge is taking awhile. I would love to change the oil, tranny, and differential fluid with synthetic, but that'll be a little bit.
Even more than that, I'd love to swap the tranny with a 4 speed AT, but that appears to also require an ECM swap, which elevates the cost to be prohibitive for the car. I'll probably just drive the car for a few years until I find another car that gets even better mileage and I can tweak more. (I'm not complaining, though; my last car averaged 23-24 mpg no matter how I drove it, so I'm getting 43% better than that beast!)
I love this forum!