View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #110 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
diverter/diffuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's the territory HotVWs were in with their Mileage Motor. I've got a 1200 mile road trip coming up in September. Worst case (for planning) 60 gallons at $5/gallon, or $300. If I got 40 mpg that's $150 less so my budget for imprevements should be about that.

Maybe a diverter and difusser in PolyMetal. I've been thinking a front splitter could have things like winglets on either side (like airliners have now) to act as air scoops for an air curtain on the front wheelwell. There are boltholes in the ends of the front bumper that could be used for support. The diffuser would have two oval holes for the tailpipes to stick through.
*The diverter sounds interesting as the front sheetmetal doesn't quite shield all the naughty bits from the oncoming flow.A couple inches of wrap-around airdam with integrated splitter sound real good.Integrating the winglet/air curtain would be a 1st-in-history for a Beetle? Why not!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm gonna have to peek under the Ghia to refresh my sorry memory with respect to the diffuser.Right now my brain is telling me that the engine heater heat exchangers and muffler would frustrate space for the upsweep of the diffuser.I'll have to look.
But it would be good to do it if it will fit in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have some sort of wing at the back,below your cooling air inlet? Kinda like Ernie did with the New Beetle? Seems like that would help on mpg.Maybe engine cooling too.