View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
Having a good bike fit is crucial! See the website for Lennard Zinn bikes to get sizing recommendations for a mountain bike.
Looks like good size calculator, I'll have to measure myself and see what it recommends. The bike shop I went to Monday and the one I bought my bike from both thought the size I have would be fine for commuting. The one I went to Monday said the handlebars would probably be too close on a smaller bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Make absolutely sure the rear axle can't spin out and rip the wires out of the motor. Most bikes will need a torque arm to protect your investment. And, keep track of the motor temp. If you bog it up a long hill you can fry it. See the simulator at ebikes.ca.

eBike Simulator - Tools
Ya, I'm definitely going to have a torque arm. I'm interested in ebike.ca's version 4 torque arm as it looks like it'll work with the way my frame is around my dropouts, but the shipping from them is almost $20. I found that EM3ev.com sells the same arm and it'll end up being about $15 less including shipping. I'll keep looking, but that's likely what I'll go with.

I don't think motor temp will be an issue, but I will keep an eye on it the first few times I ride it in 100F+ temps. Guys on Endless Sphere have put 2-3k watts into this motor before having any heat issues. My commute is flat besides one short hill, so it should be fine.

I should have bought my battery earlier, I don't know how I'll be able to wait after I get the motor.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread