View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Hoerner summed up our big problem. Vehicles have to be driven in the real world with traffic and inclines.

If I were to make a 10 degree slope boattail for my truck it would have to be as long as the rest of the truck. Ergo, you gotta chop it somewhere.
Yeah,I'm not immune from this myself.I take the boat-tail off the T-100 when in urban duty.I'm trying to de-program my brain,and see if my single braincell can manage some creative solution to the length issue.There's an additional 25% mpg hiding behind most vehicles.If you could tap it.I've seen 50 mpg pulling a trailer behind the CRX at 3,300-lbs gross.The trailer had no under carriage streamlining,and it lacked the full gap sealers envisioned for the project.The 1-wheel trailer promised better mpg,but results were marred by two fried vacuum lines behind the carb (didn't know it at the time of testing).She averaged 48 mpg with the leaks and at speeds as high as 85 mph and Vail Pass,Colorado @ 10,600 feet.The inflated tail was good for 30 mpg with half-tonneau in the T-100.That is something which could possibly address the length issue,as it stows itself below 45 mph.I'll keep chipping away at it and until some breakthrough occurs,I'll be in the "it's too damn long"camp.