View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
Help! Robins have been nesting in our carport for several years, and we just put up with the poop art that they left on my wife`s car. Not good, but we didn`t want to disturb them. But this morning my wife called me outside to see something new- when checking the oil in her car, she noticed the makings of a new nest under the hood!

It wasn`t completed yet, and we cleared it all out, but I expect they`ll be back at it ASAP. Short of enclosing the whole underside and all wheel wells in wire mesh, is there anything we can do to discourage them from nesting there? My immediate thoughts were to remove all the nests from the carport and block all that off to them (that part I know I can do) in order to convince them to move on, but now I wonder if eliminating the easier options will make them MORE determined to move into the engine compartment. Thoughts on that one?
"Not good, but we didn`t want to disturb them." You allowed it to happen. Once you permit something to happen, you will see more of the same behavior in the future. Animals will occupy your domain if you allow them to do so.
Quote:
...but now I wonder if eliminating the easier options will make them MORE determined to move into the engine compartment. Thoughts on that one?
No, animals are not human, they don't have opposable thumbs, and they are not interested in retribution. They just want free food and shelter, and they take whatever route is easiest.

You need to close all the points of entry that allow birds and rodents to take up residence in your garage or (if, as you said) a carport. In other words, you need to make it impossible for them to roost there.

Also consider getting a dog, preferably one of a breed that is disposed toward hunting birds and rodents. Dogs are territorial. A dedicated dog will dissuade undesirable animals from loitering on your premises.