View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
You know the golf ball effect?
Lock the thread, demand orders - signed in triplicate, send them back, lose them, when found, subject them to public inquiry, lose them again, and finally bury them in soft peat for three months and recycle them as firelighters.

I am not trying to be rude, there have been too many threads on here regarding this. I guess that you never watched the Mythbusters episode where they tried this. They got a Ford Fusion, put one hundred pounds of modeling clay on it, drove it one full mile, carved out 1,000 dimples, put the dimples in a box in the back seat, drove another full mile, and claimed that it was 10% more fuel efficient, which, according to what I have learned here, means that it was 20% more fuel efficient, which is a huge amount. A full boat tail makes a car about ten percent more efficient!

What else I have learned on here: One of the "Mythbusters" earned an engineering degree and in engineering school, they teach about Reynold's number, which states that golf ball dimples do not work on larger objects than golf balls. Also, you might notice differences between golf balls and cars, as mentioned, size, but also cars are never spherical and ideally never spinning through the air.

To be honest, I have wanted to repeat the Mythbuster's experiment, but using the guidelines that I have learned here, which should disprove them, but I need to worry about keeping my car running, let alone aeromodifications that are almost guaranteed to work.