View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #48 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
The black grill looks awesome. Have you considered to redo it with aluminum?
If I had time I would redo the grill and both skirts in Al (passenger side went MIA).

(Also the passenger mirror is back on, UT inspection requires the mirror if the rear window is tinted. Doh.)

(Also the block heater is mis-behaving. Not sure what's wrong, but it makes popping sounds, like it's shorting, but I ohmed it out, and I don't see how it could be. Maybe part of it is not covered in coolant and I'm hearing a "fluid explosion" for some reason. Beats me, but in any case I'm afraid to plug it in.)

Actually if I were to go back to modding on this one, the ongoing Crr issue would top the list. My best measurement to date puts it at Crr=0.014. Best guess is the rear brake drums need to be turned.

Sorry, I'm still debating myself on the subject, but I feel pretty divested in this car. It drives like "money in the bank," but my wife and kids just don't like it. So it needs to go away. Only question is what I'll replace it with - Corolla, Camry, Civic, or Prius - 1995-2008 are fair game.

It seems like a shame to let go of something with a drivetrain in such good condition, and at best $1k resale value. But one thing I've learned from the Civic modding is to be more picky about the car you start with in terms of meeting your needs. (The 97 Civic's back seat is going to feel pretty cramped 5 years from now.)

Last edited by christofoo; 04-29-2014 at 03:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to christofoo For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (04-29-2014)