View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #67 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,255 Times in 4,675 Posts
small cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
This is the one style of car I'd actually like to try them on - small cars with very short rear decks. Tuft testing the deck would reveal whether it was a good candidate for a VG test or not.
I'm seeing some entry level Kia and Hyundai cars which look like they could definitely benefit.You'd still have the nice utility and outward vision of the notchback design along with more friendly Cd.
We might presume a similar boundary layer thickness and VG height for these other cars as with the Lancer.Also,if the VGs were just like Mitsubishi's,then their location and spacing could also be used,as the delta pattern of propagating downstream vortices would be similar.
These cars would also be good candidates for rear spoilers to help capture a horizontal vortex within the C-pillar side flow.
I've also noticed that Mitsubishi went to an aeroback with the later Lancer,ditching the traditional notchback roofline.An aeroback mockup using 'cardboard and duct tape' design (I love that!) would also be fun to test in an A-B-A comparison.
(no shortage of potential projects!)