View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #71 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Ok. That explains it. I didn't know the charger only does the full pack. When I see some chargers they ask how many cells, what chemistry, things like that and I assumed this was because they auto detect each individual cell voltage.
Nope, not that I've ever seen, the charger wants to know the number of cells and the chemistry so it knows the charge curve to use and the total pack voltage to stop at, because each of those is going to be different depending on the battery, some chargers will try to float charge the batteries no matter what, this is ok for every type of battery other then lithium, so having a way to turn off the charger is a good idea and you want the charger to turn off before you over charge any single cell.

Always install fail safes and if you can, an LED or something else that tells you when that fail safe has been triggered, the solid state relays that I use have an LED on them so you know when they are turned on and my mechanical contactor makes a click when it closes.