View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #71 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,620 Times in 7,099 Posts
Quote:
I find it interesting to bring my 30 years of aviation, aircraft modification, and maintenance and a minor in rotorcraft aerodynamics to the table to see how it can be applies to the everyday driver.
Quote:
I see VG's ruffle feathers around here.
Welcome to Ecomodder.

How are you wih MS Paint? Photoshop? Scanning hand sketches? I for one would appreciate if you could document the layout on your pickup. I'm hoping it's a 1954 Studebaker.

I have never seen vortex generators not work, so I'm not a skeptic. Questions:
  • Can they be placed after maximum cross-section so they don't add frontal area?
  • What do you think about the theory there needs to be something to re-attach to?
  • Does your theory about virtually extending the body equate to my theory about shrinking the apparent cross-section at separation, or would there be detail differences?

...and slightly off-topic:
  • What's the best way to get an helicopter fuselage at scrap metal prices that could be dropped onto a VW Beetle floorpan?

Kind of like this (BD Trike bede BD5), except Bede 5Js are in short supply.

aerohead -- We crossposted. I'm going to go back and read that about 5 times, but...

Quote:
*Suction and blown slots DO show a drag reduction,however,the energy required to operate the pump exceeds the energy saved.
Coanda, baby! Too bad cars don't used pumped air for engine cooling so the heat could selectively be added to the attached flow.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-30-2014 at 05:54 PM..