View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #440 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I paid $7k for a new Honda CRX 1.5 in Sept 1983, 31 years ago. The best thing Elio has going for it is the fact that it is classified as a motorcycle, which bypasses almost all regulatory issues that would make the price increase dramatically.

I still think you will never see one for sale for $6800. A brand new product from scratch has huge up front costs that can only be mitigated with serious capital support. My guess would be 250 million in funding to cover the transition from where thay are now to a years production sold.

Even if they sold 100,000 in the first year, that's still $2500 per vehicle in costs that have to be repaid, unless they are given "taxpayer support" of some kind and I doubt that will come to pass with a motorcycle.

Most people with that kind of deep pockets are much better equipped than we are to really break down the "facts" that are dribbled out, but even we can see that Elio has a very tough road ahead. The longer their predictions drag out before becoming reality, the greater the skepticism of those with deep pockets. It's become predictable what follows. More delays, predictions, and poorly funded progress.

regards
Mech