View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I have a soft spot for the 96-00 Civics.

Check for a crack in the exhaust manifold, right around the top-front oxygen sensor. It's right on top in front so it's easy to see. Not to bad to fix either - I think I paid ~150 for my new one and a few hours of work (rusty bolts were the worst part).
I just replaced the oil pan on my 00 HX and rusty nuts were indeed the worst part. I needed to detach the front exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold, but the nuts\bolts were rusted. PB Blaster did not seem to help, neither did a heat gun or propane torch. By then, the corners were rounded. I ended up removing the manifold, wrestling everything out, and hammering a 13mm socket onto the 14mm nut, which seemed to crack the manifold.

So, uh, yeah, do not use a hammer on your car if you can avoid it.

To check the manifold, detach the cable to the oxygen sensor, pull the two 12mm bolts, and slide the heat shield down the cable. If it is cracked, I recommend an offset oxygen sensor wrench, I tried a normal one and it seemed to want to damage wires on a very expensive component. If you do need to remove the oxygen sensor, be sure to hit it with PB Blaster!

There is a local place with a used exhaust manifold for $150, although someone recommended a welder, who would hopefully charge much less. Car-part.com is great for finding parts, but I would also check Craigslist, and I just discovered frugalmechanic.com, which compares different sites and shows available discounts. It showed this aftermarket part:

Amazon.com: ATP 101122 Exhaust Manifold: Automotive

The comments indicate that the metal is thinner than stock, but that should be fine, the original one is very thick. If you want a new one from Honda, this might be the best price:

CONVERTER, MANIFOLD - $496.11

$500 plus shipping.

I think that I have already given too much advice that may or may not be useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Wow, that is quite low! If it's in good shape, snap it up!

Timing belts are always a concern. While most people only worry about the miles (it's due every 90k miles) age is also a concern, according to the manual, every six years, IIRC. Documented proof is important. If it's never been done, I would replace it immediately as it's 15 years old now...

What model? HX, CX, DX/LX? HX should be best for mileage, EX and Si worst.
Well, I know what I will be doing in 5,000 miles. Of course, many people will give me hassles for changing my own belt, but I paid Pep Boys $1,000 to do that on my Forester, and then needed to have them fix it.

If it is an HX or EX, it has an aluminum oil pan, which are prone to stripping. Again, everybody says to have a "professional" change my oil, but when that is a kid with an impact wrench, pans get stripped.

I would recommend going wherever changed the oil last, if they do vehicle inspections, have them check out the car, and then, if everything is in order, have them change the oil. Had I done that with my HX, I might not have needed to change the pan. Finally, everybody recommends Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™