View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #91 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
During Stage 1 there was a required 5 minute pit-stop and entrants could determine when they'd like to take it. I let Mother Nature dictate that schedule. Not sure what was going on here but it looked like the Alfred State Insight may have taken an unplanned pitstop, "track-side" as they say:
-

-

-

-
Prior to Team Centurion's pit/break, Sheepdog 44 mentioned the GGP number on the sail panel had been flapping a bit. I'm surprised it stuck to the gray primer as well as it did.
-

-
So pit we did! Luckily I carry urethane windshield rope for those little annoyances that crop up. Rolling it between my hands, I made a thin string of it and applied it to the affected area - problem solved!
-
Time to get back on the track!
-
With more than half of Stage 1 completed, I couldn't help but wonder where UltArc was or mloveland78. Seems like we had seen everyone else. I could only guess that our similar lap times kept our staggered start constant throughout the race.
-
However, in looking over the footage, it is possible that the 75mpg DX was briefly caught on camera! (Confirmation needed!)
-

-
During the next few laps there seemed to be really strange noises coming from the rear of the Centurion. Had something gone wrong with the flux capacitor? The only way to find out was to pull into the pits and have a look. The danger of course lies in the fact that the holographic circuit may have been misfiring and the beams were randomly ejecting.
-
Team Centurion would need to take a risk that could have catastrophic consequences. Sheepdog 44 being far more youthful and agile than myself, volunteered for this unmanned spacewalk and before doing so, he willed me the 1/2 uneaten pepperoni pizza that waited faithfully on his passenger seat all the way from Massachusetts the day before!
-
With great anticipation, we initiated Pitstop #2:
-

-

-

-
Then in the span of a milli-second, there was a huge elecrtrical flash and the smell of ozone filled the area. Retreating to Centurion's cockpit for safety was the only option. Sheepdog 44 made it first... Or did he?????
-

-
I guess he crossed the path of the holographic circuit and took a very powerful and direct hit - one strong enough to erase the Insight right off the front of his shirt. Luck was with us that day and thankfully he had made it!!!
-

-
With no time to waste Team Centurion high-tailed it outta the pits - Blast Off!!
-

-
(Video or it didn't happen)
-
Closest estimates indicated this Green Grand Prix had about half an hour left. Would we make it?
-
What would the numbers be? What were the chances we'd have to panic stop and the Spitfire rear axle assembly would "jack" causing a massive fiery wreck?
-

-
These questions may never be answered but others will in the next entry of the 2014 Green Grand Prix!
-
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-04-2018 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Add "Video or it didn't happen" link.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-03-2014), mikeyjd (05-10-2014)