View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #76 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,231 Times in 4,657 Posts
turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I wonder if you could chop a turbocharger into a turbo-shaft? I like the idea of diverting the corrosive exhaust gases.

OK, Porsche use pumped air cooling! Their fan can have 5 to 11 blades depending on your backpressure needs.

Someone showed a subwoofer (I think it was a commercial product) that used a constant-speed variable-pitch propeller. It could produce notes as low as 50hz by reversing the pitch in a cycle. For your compressor/vacuum pump.
30-years or so ago,the Israeli's had solar ponds with immersed heat exchangers
full of refrigerant which would flash to superheat and high pressure which would impell a turbo-generator to provide electric power day and night.
We might be able to harvest the exhaust heat to directly run the turbo-compressor or turbo-vacuum pump to create the Coanda curtains.
With say,33% of the fuels energy lost down the tailpipe,this seems like an interesting field to plow.
J.J.Cornish III of the AIAA has demonstrated very 'fast' aft-bodies with perfectly-attached flow using suction (which dates to the 1920s with Ludwig Prandtl's STOL aircraft research).We just need a cost-effective source for the input energy.
Since a turbocharger is designed to harvest a pressurized gas stream,it seems like the logical candidate.By using the blowdown energy,then all the waste heat as possible,a compound turbo system might pay dividends via the slot system.Closer to an adiabatic engine.