View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
cowmeat
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
A few years ago, I was rear-ended by a dump truck in rush hour traffic at an intersection with red-light cameras, directly in front of a cop sitting at the light. The impact launched my car at a 45 degree angle, so when I landed, I shot across six lanes and was broadsided by a car coming the other way.
The dump truck drove off after the accident, the cop had apparently been looking at Krispy Kreme ads on his laptop while sitting at the light (so he didn't actually observe the accident that occured about ten feet in front of him), and the city said their cameras don't actually record live feed, so nothing was caught on tape. There were plenty of witnesses, and not one of who wrote down the tag number of the truck or the name of the company.
Long story made short:
The driver of the car that hit me was ticketed, even though there was nothing he could have done to stop, the dump truck driver was never located, and all the repairs to my car were done out of pocket since my insurance deductible was set so high. The accident report called the dump truck a "ghost car" since he kept driving and was unidentified.

Be glad you had that camera rolling, bro!