View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
DoctorP82
EcoModding Lurker

Boy Blue - '93 Jeep Cherokee Country
90 day: 18.55 mpg (US)
'93 Jeep Cherokee - Weekend report

This past holiday weekend I did some tweaking to try to improve my fuel economy on the road. Given I drive a '93 Jeep Cherokee with 15 mpg combined, I appreciate any increase in efficiency. Here is what I did and its effects:

- I checked the tire pressures all around, and found my tires to be between 32 to 37 psi. I bumped this up to 40-41 psi (tires max are 44psi)
- I moved the crossbars of the roof rack to the very back of the vehicle, hoping it to act as a spoiler of sorts. Since the Jeep has a vertical backend, I hoped that placing both bars back might help drive air into the vacuum behind the Jeep and create less drag
- I kept rpms < 2000 the whole time
- I used "engine-on neutral coasting"

I'll explain the neutral coasting briefly. I read someone else's post recently about trying to coast on downhills, towards red lights, or off exit ramps by shifting their automatic into neutral. I tried this out a bit and am noticing that the Jeep feels as if there is less rolling drag. My suspicions were that disengaging the drivetrain while coasting creates less rolling friction within the transmission, so you can roll further and with less rapid loss of speed.

I filled up last night after having also done a few days of city driving. Total miles driven was just under 300 on 15.5 gallons. My calculated mpg?

....19 mpg. +4 over combined EPA rating. And I was using the AC.