View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #32 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
The epa testing system we have now is not perfect, but it's what we have. It's not likely to change any time soon. So I'll save my breath complaining about it. It's posted on the window of every new car sold. It provides a decent apples-to-apples comparison between cars. If you get below that number in car A, you're likely to be a similar amount below the rated number on car B as well.

If I understand correctly, this proposal is for advertising. TV and billboards and magazines.

I've heard so many times, online and in person, "why would you buy a hybrid, when Car X gets almost as good mileage for cheaper?". Car X that gets marginally lower highway mileage, but woefully lower city mileage. Mose people aren't going to research in depth. Repeated quick "oooh that's a big mpg number" impressions will stick in their mind and sway their choices when it's time to buy. That's how advertising works.

Listing both city and highway EPA in advertising, I can only see as a good thing. It's better than what we have now.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles