View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,801 Posts
Tire fill: Something different in the air

I will be trying to attain measureable results from filling the tires with something besides air, or nitrogen.
Since I already tested nitrogen years ago and found no measureable difference from air. Makes sense since air is almost 80% nitrogen. You would expect there to be little difference.

I am going as unair like as possible, while staying with non flammable and non oxidizing gases.
Since summer is coming in New Mexico, a lot of roads have been repaved, making them extra black and there for extra hot. I am going to test cooling gasses on hard working trailer and truck tires.
Possible cooling gasses are any heat pump working fluid or inferred absorber.

I dont plan on it saving a bunch of fuel. I am looking to save tires. At $50 to $80 each not blowing them is pretty economical, not crashing even more so.
My winter test will be aimed at saving some fuel in car tires.

How can I do this? Well I keep inert shielding gasses on tap in pure form to mix on site to feed my welding machine. I have CO2, Argon and Helium. Helium is the most expensive by far. I also have refrigerant, a blend R-404a has caught my attention.
To get the gas into the tire I built a tire gas manifold to unite the welding world, HVAC worlds and bring them to the tire world.

Because I am too cheap to waste gas, even if its $1/lb CO2 doing a bunch of purging I will attach a vacuum pump to the tire manifold. Pumping some of the air out of a tire and then filling will have the same effect as preforming 1 or 2 purges.

First tests will be to make sure any of the gasses used for on road tests dont permeate out at some catastrophic rate.
I already tested this with CO2 and it stays where its put.
Next test will be to fill a small trailer tire with helium and see how fast it leaks compaired to its air filled twin.
Then working up to on road tests with varrious gas mixtures.
Filling a tire with something different and hitting the road, not a good idea.

CO2 seems to like absorbing heat through conduction and absorbing IR. And its not a bad refrigerant, just expensive to employ.
Helium likes to move heat really fast. But is the most expensive by far and the most likely to leak out at a higher rate.
Argon, unlike CO2 and Helium likes to move heat more slowly, much more slowly than air.
R-404a is already a mix. The 2 main ingredients are "canned air" and fire suppressant, both are very good heat movers.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
mcrews (12-18-2015)