View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ironside
EcoModding Lurker

Hi PeterS,
Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been away for a few days.

The first observation is, how will you lower the seating position (necessary for a number of reasons) without modifying the frame?. You've already told us there may be a problem with your vehicle licencing authority.
An 'underbone' frame won't need modifying.

Secondly, small wheels will do nothing for stability, if that's not an issue then it might be easier to start with a Chinese clone scooter.

There is a HUGE worldwide aftermarket for the Honda stepthru models, pretty much anything you need, from complete motors, uprated suspension and brakes to that little rubber widget are easily available. Plus you would have access to any any number of secondhand spares. There must be tons of scrapped postie bikes laying around.

There seems to be a little lack of faith with regards to the handling and braking of these little stepthu's, well I'd like to say ' don't knock it 'till you've tried it '. I am a motorcyclist with almost 50 years of riding experience, and have owned and ridden hundreds of different bikes in that time, so I think I'm qualified to comment.

Set up correctly, the handling and braking are adequate for speeds up to 70 mph., bearing in mind that normal cruising speed would be between 50 and 60, and if I wanted to get my knee down I'd buy an R1. It's different horses for different courses, it depends on your needs.

The Sym and other Chinese copies are what they are, copies. They are not Hondas, you could be forgiven for assuming they are the same because they look the same, they are not !.

Finally, if you decide to use a Honda stepthru platform for your build, I'll probably be able to offer advice because I've been there and done it.

Regards
Ironside.