View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I can not over emphasize the importance, expecially on rack and pinion steering systems, of making sure the rack is centered before tackling any front end alignment issues.

Centering the steering wheel and the rack is the basis of a proper alignment. If you make sure the wheel is centered and the rack is centered (previous post), then just drive the car and if it drives straight down the road then your alignment is very close (and that's free).

If it drives straight but the wheel is not centered and or the rack is not centered, then it is highly likely that there is something worn out or damaged (if not worn out) or both. Without a collision or worn out components, front end alignments will last a very long time.

I generally do not align the front end once it is "right" unless I see tire wear that would indicate an alignment issue (uneven wear across the tread).

I also generally avoid balancing tires unless there are symptoms. I once took my Riviera to Wall Mart to have the tires rebalanced before the 7k mile free interval. They told me there were not enough miles for it to be free.

I told them there was a vibration and I'll bet the $35 it's a balance issue. One wheel was 1/4 ounce out of balance and the rebalance cost me nothing.

When you replace tires, my experience is they will need a rebalance one time, then they should remain balanced for the life of the tires, assuming there is no major impact or pothole type damage.

Bottom line is in almost every case, without impact damage, your car will "tell" you when it's tires need to be rotated and or balanced.

Make this a sticky if you wish mods, it could save people a lot of coin over a lifetime.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
mcrews (05-13-2014)