View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Istas
is not covered in bees.

Honda - '05 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 27.16 mpg (US)

Insight - '00 Honda Insight w A/C
90 day: 66.55 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Istas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjd View Post
i find that they do stretch, but mostly just marginally enough to notice that they aren't quite as tight. I will leave a 1/4 inch tail next time so I can tighten them after a few thousand miles. I haven't had 1 tie break in about 10k miles though.
Thanks for the info. I am being convinced more and more. I have a feeling my desire to have them soon will override my worries about lightweight, flat, flexible pieces of plastic coming off my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
800 rpms?!?!? Is that before you car starts moving or after? Thats like 90 mph?

Yeah, the upper grill with the H logo really makes the air dirty. I had coated mines in black duct tape and it made a bigger difference than I would of suspected.
The data on tirerack says the stock tires for my car of the type I'm looking at have 808 revolutions per mile, so at sixty miles per hour or one mile per minute, that's 808 rpm. Doing the math for outer tire diameter, and doing the math for engine speed/gear ratios, works out too. And I'll occasionally be going 80 or faster to keep up with traffic so I'm not a danger to everyone else on the highway, so it'll need to hold up to faster than 800 rpm.

Yeah, the engine bay is pretty bad for aero, period. The more air you can manage to keep out of there (without overheating anything), the better.