Thread: New from WV!
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stowers74
EcoModding Lurker

New from WV!

Hey there, guys!

I'm sorta new to the site (I've been reading threads on here forever, but just made an account). I've never really been into hypermiling or anything extreme, but I enjoy spending less on gas. Currently I own an '08 Impreza 2.5i (base model, only get about 23mpg combined) and an '84 Camaro Z28 (horrible gas mileage lol).

The 23mpg combined of my subie is starting to get expensive with commuting to college two or three times a day. I've considered modding the subie to get better mpg, but I personally think that's a lot of hassle for not much better mileage.

Instead of modding it, I have decided to buy something that is more efficient to begin with. My budget is about $16,000 or so, (thats counting on about $5k trade in value of my subie). I'm really wanting something that gets about 30mpg combined, but more would be better.

Cars I've been considering are:
-MK6 Jetta (TDI or 1.8t if I can find one in my price range, I'd be willing to pay a little more for a Jetta)
-Hyundai Elantra or Veloster (I like the 100k mile warranties)
-Chevy Cruze
-Ford Focus (2012+)
-Honda Civic (I've owned a '99 Si that got like 42mpg Highway, but I'd rather have a newer one)
-Honda CRX (not crazy about the two speed auto trans, and I honestly prefer to daily an auto)
-Dodge Dart
-Mazda 3 hatchback

I was wondering if there are any other cars I should be considering, or which of these would be reliable/ best on gas. Also, are there any aftermarket mods for any of the newer cars that I've mentioned that would help me squeeze a few more MPG out of them?