View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #43 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In 1999 when Nissan came out with the new 2000 Model Maxima the local dealer had 6 of the 1999 Models left over on sale. The wife and I went there and to my utter amazement she decided to buy one for something like $17,850 brand new. It had Yokohama tires and the one next to it had Michelins. The price was something like $6K off of the sticker. I tried to negotiate with them to switch the tires. The sale manager tried to give me a total lie speil about the tires being specifically designed for that exact car.

I got so friggin mad, I told him, "you can imagine how much you have just pissed me off with your bold faced lie about tires that come in by the tractor trailer load and are installed as they are recieved at the assembly line". The car had steel wheels and plastic hub caps. I almost walked out and told them to shove it, but the wife was buying the car for herself and it was her decision, not mine.

She bought it.

The car had a vibration or shimmy. I could tell it was an out of round tire. After two trips to the dealership and a 20 mile test drive, with wheel balance check both times, the service manager, who I had known for a decade, told me I needed to take the issue up with the tire manufacturer, which I did with no resolution.

The wife would not buy new tires, so I put the crap tire on the right rear wheel and it sat there for 40,000 miles until it wore out and I got the Michelins I had tried to get 40,000 miles ago. Every revolution of that wheel I could feel.

For four years everytime I rode in that car I wanted to strangle that lying sales manager who could have swapped the tires in 15 minutes.

If I knew a wheel was bent it would never have gone anywhere near my car, and even then with a new wheel (or excellent used one) I would still have checked the tire for runout and tossed it in the trash if it had been more than 1/8th inch or if I could feel any vibration and I mean what normal people would probably consider normal.

Had you car come to my shop, it would have been properly diagnosed and you would have been informed, to the best of my abilities of the exact price to repair it so it rode just like that Maxima did at 40,000 miles when the orignal crap tires were replaced.

I looked at your video and it reminded me of that Maxima. Why would any competent repair shop put bent wheels any where on a car unless they were the last wheels on the planet that would fit on that car.

I read about a replaced strut, maybe it was a control arm and not a strut. By now my head is spinning trying to help someone I will probably never see in my life. Partial information, incorrect information, still not sure how many wheels were replaced, whether tire run out was checked, I'm just confused, even by the summary of things done.

One thing I am sure of is this. With about 1 hours labor I could have diagnosed
the problems and corrected the issues you have had in one trip. I would have had to had the alignment checked by someone I trusted and it would be finished, but no alignment would have been done with bent parts that would be discovered with a visual inspection, unitl after those parts had been replaced.

In much less time than I have spent posting on this thread.

Baltothewolf, drive it as it is and save your money. When you can afford it, take the damn bent wheels off your car and then make sure the tires are round, within 1/8th of an inch and you will be finished with your nightmare.

At least you did not buy the car new and pay almost $19,000 dollars, try to solve the problem before it ever occured and have a lying jerk not allow a simple tire-wheel change solve the problem and then have to live with that memory for 40,000 miles.

regards
Mech