View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
whokilledthejams
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
I remember seeing a very similar article as applies to Subaru Imprezas. Same idea, though-- if you're willing to put up with a shell of a car, you can actually get some good gains out of it. On the other hand, the more extreme measures are best suited to track toys. I don't think most people realize just how comfortable even a low-end car is these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
really i think carbon fiber would be great for replacing steel floor pans etc.. but its so expensive still..
Interestingly, fiberglass is (or at least can be) lighter. CF really shines in structural parts, but that's also where it is the most expensive to use. Sadly, in a lot of applications, you can find CF parts easier than 'glass ones, because it's more rice. For example, for the xB, you can get a CF hood, rear hatch, and front fenders, but altogether, they only save a couple of pounds over the steel parts, and cost a fortune. If you are serious about lightness, you'd mold the steel part, and make a basic fiberglass sheet with the contours of the original. No structure, but much lighter.

More radically, you could just take off your doors. Maybe even get an upholstery shop to make Jeep-style soft doors!