View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
OKXXFE
EcoModding Lurker

Slow Silver - '09 Chevy Cobalt XFE Coupe
90 day: 37.56 mpg (US)

GMC pickup - '86 GMC C1500

Hephaestus - '09 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
90 day: 47.13 mpg (US)
You folks really are very helpful. Thanks!
I have my first set of experimental data! While enduring a slow day at work I decided to grab the packing tape gun and attack my car. I sealed off the upper grill partition just to see what it might do.
Now, I understand that this on it's own is rather weak since the only non-variable was the road and speed traveled. I pretty much change everything else for my return home.

The Route: 50mi interstate highway; mostly concrete pavment
Ambient Temperature: 86*F winds SW@ 6-12mph (tailwind)

Traffic was a bit heavier than usual for Friday, and they didnt appreciate my doing 60-65mph on a 75mph road. I used my Hazard lights when a truck would come within 50m, it seemed to work as I dont think anyone ACTUALLY flipped me a "howdy". So keeping an eye on my coolant temps and speed I reset my AVG mpg as I got on the freeway, hard to do as I had several thousand miles on that average and had JUST got it to 37. Anyway, I definitely have some ducting to do as my coolant temps were flirting with 200*F after about 20mi. I didnt want to pull off and scrap the block but also didnt want to overheat, AAA or no AAA. Instead I adjusted the hvac vents and cranked on the heater to vent out the passenger window. It really works!
So, once I got home, I checked the avg...44.5mpg! my previous two tanks at this speed came in at 37-38mpg avg. I know this is just one run with too many variables so it doesnt mean much, but I havent seen this ever, and I drive the same route every day for the last year.
I am going to keep it in place and do some pre-fab to see about helping the cooling but first result looks promising!
The Following User Says Thank You to OKXXFE For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-17-2014)