View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
doctorgonzo
EcoModding Lurker

Flea - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 50.04 mpg (US)

5-series - '99 BMW 528i

The Hot Rod - '91 Honda Civic Si

Rex - '89 Honda CRX HF
New to me 1G Insight

Just bought my first Insight about a week ago. I’ve had my fair share of Hondas: Acura Legend, CRX Si, CRX HF x2, ’92 Civic Si with a B18C1 ’94 Civic CX, 1991 Civic Si with a B18C5, but I’d always admired the Insight from afar.

I had a few days off so I drove a couple of hours to go test drive one. I wasn’t really serious in spite of the distance covered just to see it, but the guy saw that I was a Honda aficionado and offered it to me the next day for 1650 bucks so I drove back last Saturday with a friend to buy it.

Of course the car has it’s share of typical peccadillos, bad roof paint, bad second-gear synchro, bad LAF sensor, sticky “Trip” button, black wheels, bad IMA battery, but it has tons going for it, namely it’s an Insight, and all of the intrinsic wonderfulness that goes with that. I’ve had a lot of fun reading the journeys of other forum members who’ve fixed up their Insights and wrestled with dead or dying battery packs, so I’ll do my best to work and entertain others who may be considering doing the same.

I’ve had the car for eight days now and haven’t really done anything to it except drive the hell out it, but I have an eBay S2000 steering wheel on the way to replace the tattered original, so there’s a start. Happy motoring!