View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
dann_04
EcoModding Lurker

EP3 - '03 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)

Scooter - '93 Honda Elite 80
90 day: 74.87 mpg (US)

Ape - '07 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
90 day: 66.97 mpg (US)
If that thingis automatic you are kind of limited. Like they have said 3mpg is pretty good for a vehicle rated in the mid 10's. YOu have to realize there are mechnical limits to what your vehicle can do mpg wise. You have a heavy non aerodynamic vehicle, this is probably your biggest hurdle. MAybe try some extensive weight reduction? Then you have a very hungry powertrain. I mean the parasitic loss of a v8 chevy ohv with all the 4wd junk and an automatic tranny is phenomenal. Like the others said see if you can get rid of the frontportion of you 4wd. drive at a sustained low speed, like 60-65 on the highway(your big, people won't mind lol) i wouldn't recomend speeding up and coasting and speeding up again in something that big and heavy. It takes alot of gas to speed back up to those speeds. For instance my friend gets 24mpg cruising in his cherokee, but under acceleration he gets about 6mpg. So cruising is more efficient for him unless he has a considerable hill. My civic which weighs like 1200 pounds less with amore efficient engine requires less gas to speed back upso it can work in the right situations.

In the end you may think about getting something like a honda odyssey that's rated for i believe 30mpg highway. But i think with the right driving, some weight reduction, 4wd disconnect, driving slow and sustained speed, and whatever else you can think of, i think you could see 24mpg highway, but thats probably the max unless you do some more extensive mods.
But definatly don't give up. Higher mpg's are always better.