View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Coolant temp/nose/backlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKXXFE View Post
So my cooling system seems to do just fine when heading into the wind, and I do see some improvement in fuel consumption into the wind with the grill blocked off. However, with a 20-30 mph tailwind and 90*F, I don't think I am getting adequate flow through my radiator as I consistently see my coolant temps over 200*F which I am not comfortable with. I haven't had a problem per-se but it has gone as high as 212*, which I then rolled down a window and blasted the heater, I am NOT GOING TO DO THAT ALL SUMMER!
The grill block is coming off for afternoon drive home, though I think my partial belly pan/radiator scoop does help some and I will be pursuing a more appropriately engineered and permanent solution with ABS or fiberglass.

*What do ya'll think of a Detachable Nose Cone that would cover the upper grill, and hopefully channel high pressure air directly into the flux-capacitor? The top portion of this scoop/nose would continue the line of the hood to about 10-12" out front and be only as wide as the top of the lower grill opening. Could be made of High Density Foam and fiberglass over?
I couldn't look any worse than the 'Cuda RoadRunner....right.

I'm also dreaming of a Plexi or PolyC rear glass cover starting from the roof glass transition down to the edge of my low rise spoiler. Like a hatch for a coupe.

@Aerohead: That Aerotech I is the most beautiful shape I have ever seen on wheels, why in hell didn't they just do that in Aluminum and sell it? I'd have bought one.
*In the past,some GM products had 'normal' coolant operating temps as high as 255-F.A service manager at a local Chevy dealer might be able to tell you over the phone what to look for.(Remember,GM tests their cars at Furnace Creek,Death Valley,California,at idle,with all accessories on,in 120-F or so heat.They have very robust cooling capacity).
*As to the nose,it would help get your duct length closer to the height of the radiator.Also,it would lower the stagnation point which is very good for low drag and lift.Ideally,the nose would be vertical,or slightly canted backwards with the air dam integrated right into it.Just like NASCAR.You'd need to watch your approach angle clearance (16-degrees) so it doesn't scrub or worse.
*The rear backlight area is where the money is.The current 2nd-gen Insight has a fine contour to mimic.Rear visibility is something you'd have to make an executive decision about.Many backlights are intentionally 'fast' just to aid in outward vision.A rear camera system compensates.Selective reflective Mylar coating would help with solar insolation effects.The answer is to do gold vapor deposition as NASA does on their space suit helmet visors.Kinda difficult for mortal men.If you get the roofline up to 'Kamm' specs,then she's a candidate for tail,which should get you into 50-mpg territory.Easy.