View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post

I've put about 150 miles on it since converting. Everything is working great...
Congrats! There's just something wonderfully addictive about ebikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
My biggest complaint is the battery on the rear rack, just too much weight back there... I think mounting the battery would have been easier if I'd ordered the it split in half
It's not too late if you're feelin' handy - the cells within the pack are pretty much what you'd expect, each has a single positive & negative terminal & it's just a matter of lengthening the wiring for the cells & BMS feeds you'd like to relocate. The Ping 48v 15Ah LiFePO4 you've got likely is the same as mine, so it's got the round cells in a plastic rack with a terminal at the top & bottom, they're a bit bulkier then the flat cells but are easier to work with.

Here's a coupla pics of what's inside the wrap - first pic (not mine) would be very similar cells to what you've got, minus the wiring & BMS ofc & the second is the flat cell design, included to show wiring;

You'd just need to label each wire & the cell it goes to while modifying, it only seems daunting at first... but... unless you've sorted out a way to put the pack within the frame's triangle, it may not be worth the effort.

When I first threw Mongo together I just stuffed one pack into each side of the panniers. While the weight is lower then on top of the cargo rack when I later changed panniers and relocated the pack to the top of the cargo rack I learned it didn't make that much of a difference - it does help some to have the weight lower, but as it's still behind the bike's center of mass it still feels odd, even a little sketchy on slippery surfaces & a hard turn (wet leaves/painted stripes/etc).

I can say however it is something you get used to, it isn't as bad as it may feel at first - it's actually only 16lbs or so on the rack and interestingly that "top heavy" feeling goes away as soon as I put stuff (groceries or w/e) in the panniers.

At this stage I'd humbly suggest you just continue on doin' what you're doing, riding & enjoying the thing lol - if come next season you're still not used to it, odds are you'll be lookin' to modify it anyway

*whispers* get rid of that ax head torture device they call a "saddle" man, yer not pedaling so much anymore