View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #318 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
At one of the few car shows I have attended recently there was a reverse tadpole, similar to mine with legal plates and titled in Va as a motorcycle. I talked with the owner for some time about the inspection process and he basically told me it was no problem. What the Va DMV wants is proof of purchase of major components, frame, engine, transmission, front axle, rear axle. It's done by the State Police and they look it over for
structural integrity and basic compliance with requirements that would apply to any motorcycle. The gray area might be emissions, which will be a "non event" since every thing emissions wise is directly transplanted from a 2011 CBR 250 R. ECU, cat, EFI, evaporative emissions, 02 sensor all are present and the complete system will be fully functional as it was on the bike, even down to the check engine light.

It's actually at the point where I could request the inspection, after filling out all of the paperwork, pay the fees and get it titled in Va. I even have the stamps to put the required, DMV assigned, 17 digit VIN number on the frame.

It's a process that I am very familiar with, done numerous times, dating back to 1973 and basically the same as required with any salvage vehicle that you rebuild here.

This means I can drive-ride it any where in the US once it is titled, licensed, and inspected. Being a motorcycle I don't think it will even be required to have seat belts, but I will have to wear a DOT approved helmet as well as any passenger. I plan to use both helmets and possibly a 5 point harness as is used in race cars.

The rain-x on the windshield will be put on hold for now, but I still appreciate the advice based on experience pgfpro, as well as from everyone who has posted about cleaning and preservation.

Thanks to everyone, I take the advice and experience seriously and it could save me wasted effort and frustration as well as additional expense.

regards
Mech