View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #50 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
...Are you sure it uses cylindrical cells? All the pictures I've seen of Ping batteries show pouch cells. If they are cylindrical, I might be able to rearrange them and make a custom battery box in the triangle like guys do for Li-ion. I've also seen some setups where the battery is split between two bags that hang over the top tube. It wouldn't get the weight lower, but it would at least get more of it over the front tire...
No, I'm not 100% sure as I can only attest to the one I've got. It's two years old now & they may well have changed their methods & materials.

I'll freely admit battery tech changes so quickly it's difficult to keep up with, but peeling back a corner of the shrink wrap isn't too much trouble, I'm sure they'd be happy to answer should you call or email Ping. The wrap itself can just be taped back in place or replaced, it's the same stuff they use to wrap cargo, boats & ATVs so it's common & inexpensive.

Whatever the cells may be, working with them is as easy as legos... ones you hafta solder & just may blow up - but legos jus' the same lol

Glad to hear it's puttin' a grin on your face, I honestly feel like a kid flying down a perpetual hill with mine