View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #63 (permalink)
Istas
is not covered in bees.

Honda - '05 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 27.16 mpg (US)

Insight - '00 Honda Insight w A/C
90 day: 66.55 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Istas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Philips View Post
I understand part of your testing process but your mods look very time consuming to install and remove with many fasteners, etc. How was this done for ABA.
It is quite time-consuming, you are correct, and is the reason for the 25-30 minute gap going from stock runs to modded, and 12 minute gap going from modded to stock. 61 sheet metal screws for the grill blocks and airdam/undertray, if my count's accurate. It was the first way I came up with for cheap and simple, and repeatably removable, unfortunately I sacrificed ease/speed for that. Not an issue in regular use as I only need to remove them for oil changes or tire issues.

For the testing I brought along a cordless drill with a flathead screwdriver bit that it came with, and a freshly charged spare battery. Otherwise the removal/attachment would have taken much longer.

Quote:
Where I live we have real winters but we also have 90 degree days in summer and use the AC a lot. We'll be interested to hear if you have to remove some of the blockage for hot summer days. Years ago I owned a 3cyl Saab that had a window shade device in front of the radiator.
I'm very interested to know this as well! Temps here range from -40 in winter to mid 90s in summer; 40 degree swing from low to high is common in the summer. I plan either on leaving the opening as it is until we get to the hottest days, or making louvers that are adjustable from inside the car so I can keep it optimum at all times (possibly with a second one for the AC side). Inspired by The donkey CRX in this post http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post421965 and others in similar projects. I'll be sure to keep up-to-date info on this post. Was the Saab's window shade device stock? I hear some modern cars now have auto-adjusting grill blocks as standard features.

Finished the driver side rear skirt last night, went to aero test them this morning but got too discouraged by winds and traffic. Got a better picture, at least.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Istas For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (05-22-2014), The donkey CRX (05-22-2014)