View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #45 (permalink)
Burton
EcoModding Lurker

ZForce - '13 Zero motorcycles S ZF11.4
I know this isn't a welding form

I should have mentioned I live in a condo where I have the first two floors and a garage so torches are out of the question. Tig I could get away with though but don't think mig or stick would be a good idea.

I need the 240v outlet to charge my electric bike faster than 10 hours :/ So I guess you could knock the price down $300 so ~2700.

Looking at Kevin's reviews of the AHP 200. I was originally going to get the everlast 200dx but figured there were better features on the 250ex and better amperage ensuring I would likely not have to replace the machine in the future. The AHP seems like it has less features than the 200dx/dv.

I want to be able to weld aluminum and if I can motorcycle frames or just pipe based frames in general when my projects require it. I am in no way trying to make money or a living doing this but to me money spent learning a new skill is spent well. In the near future I am going to have a homestead and would like to be able to repair my tools on top of making things for my bikes

It seems like some people think you either spend under 1.5k on all your gear or your a professional from what I have been reading in many forums. I recently spent around $750 just for three lights because I like them and they are high quality investments. (jw speaker 8700 and two 6150's)

Hypothetically if I went with the AHP200 I would spend a total of $1584, if I went with the 200dx it would be $1800-$2000. The AHP200 is apparently doing repairs if you send the unit there on your dime but nothing is written in stone. The Everlast has a 5 year warranty.

I don't want to skimp on my helmet so I won't be getting something cheaper. If i didn't get the miller I would have got the speedglas 9000. The pre-darkening from sensing HF is one of the things that turned me on to the helmet.

As for the ceriated vs lanthinated I will do more research but it seems Jody's test shows lanthanated held up to 200amps better so I can switch those out before I order.

The miller helmet uses two Lithium CR2450's, a $0.55 battery ^_^

aluminumwelder thanks for the DVD offer I will keep it in mind.

How long can you weld above 100-140amps without your air cooled torch getting too hot to hold? I was under the impression a nice watercooled 20 is both tiny and cool under such conditions which is why I opted to add it into the list.

I have yet to find any good AHP 200dx vs Everlast 200dx threads yet but I have seen several E 200dx vs 250ex and it seemed like the upgrade was worth it.