View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
So I sent them a message saying I'm not responsible for repairs and they told me because I didn't get it smogged before the sale and I sold it with the clean title I committed fraud? Wtf? They agreed (and I have my little brother as a witness) to take care of repairs to get the salvaged title and get it smogged. Is their claim even still valid?
They are clearly trying to scam you, or they are just really dumb people. You owe nothing to them, and should stop all contact immediately. Whatever communication you send them could be used against you if they ever decide to waste money trying to sue.

A judge would see they bought the car for $250, when they are asking $800, and simply throw the case out. They are not serious about bringing legal action, they are trying to scare you into giving them money.

Even if by some miracle they had evidence to show a judge that you knew the headgasket was bad before the sale, the most they would be awarded is the original $250 sale price. But that is theoretical to show how insanely stupid their claim is, and we all know they have no evidence to prove their claim.