View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #49 (permalink)
American Viking
EcoModding Lurker

Dad's Jetta - '05 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5l package one
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Black Cherry - '01 Honda VFR800fi
Last 3: 39.39 mpg (US)
Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
I have a 2013 S ZF11.4 with a size 6 controller and DS shocks / forks installed. The brain is completely programmable via diginow interface and is currently set up to be slightly faster than a 2014 SR

I have not had the bike out on the highway yet to confirm actual range vs advertised range. Advertised range at 70mph is 70 miles and my commute is only 53 miles total each day. Accounting for winter and I would likely be cutting it close on the days I would ride it.
That is my problem with pure EV's right now, the range.
My commute to the office used to be 90 miles on the NJ turnpike where speeds average 75mph. No EV could handle that speed/range combo without charging at work (a few could barely make it to work, never mind back home again).
That's why I was hoping you had done some baseline commuting on the Zero.

Quote:
Theoretically I don't have to charge it at work to get home. I would like to get the bike to a point where I can go touring with it much like I do with my ICE bike. The vetter fairing and tail treatment should increase the range and increase charging efficiency since less energy is needed to go the same distance.
You say that you want to go touring on it like you do on your regular bike.
But that makes me ask you how far can you tour on your gas bike.
For me on my VFR, that's easily over 800 miles a day. 230-250 miles on a tank averaging 65-70 mph, 20 minutes to fill up/use the bathroom/get fluids, and then another 3-4 hours on the next tank. I don't know of any EV motorcycle that can do that. The frequent stops will make for a very long trip, unless you already stop frequently and often.

Quote:
My current riding habits vary. I am running a 15/37 setup on my ninja 250 and tend to ride the speed limit of 65 but will drop down a gear and get up to 75 as needed. If I am riding more spirited I will keep the rpms around 7 to 9 k in corners so I can accelerate faster out of them. With the zero I suspect I will do the same as I do now except I might go faster.
The reason for going faster might sound odd but if touring going faster is better than slower as you actually increase your average miles per hour after including charging time. Terry's fourth cross-US trip
Oh I understand that completely, the few miles that running at 60 mph saves me, compared to maybe having one more gas stop, is not really significant.

Ev's either need a break through in battery capacity or a charging break through to cut charging times down, before they are really ready to compete with ICE vehicles in long distance travel.

Keep going.

Black Cherry (no epa ratings)

Dad's Taxi

The Lead Sled (EV conversion coming soon)