View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

I do appreciate an innovative & stylish product, having said that recumbents in general, velomobiles in particular suffer more then a little from inflated pricing - one of my "favorite" examples is a 20mm mountain bike/BMX thru-axle is usually half the price of the exact same part for a recumbent...

It's hard to justify it as a practical alternative with such impractical purchase costs. My concern is for those new to alternative transportation being deterred by such disproportionate pricing, e-vehicles already having somewhat of a reputation for such it's not doing the market any good.

I'm familiar with production costs, as an example this one-off hybrid - complete with a 49cc four stroke and a 36v 1000w ehub w/LiFePO4 pack, fully suspended w/RockShox, Avid disc brakes & more cost about $3500usd to fabricate... which puts me in almost a 100% profit range should it be sold for the same as the Veloschmitt;

...granted, it doesn't have a veloshell - but that's a heck of a price for a body & not a lot else...
The Following User Says Thank You to BarelyAWake For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (05-24-2014)