View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
My thought ages ago was to make tunnels. Roadways concealed. I would only think Turnpikes, or specific road ways would be this way.

It may seem daft at first, but I was thinking this way:
-Close to no maintenance for winter. No salt needed, no plows needed.
-Close to no rebuild from winter damage, since little salt and no plows.
-No deer accidents.
-Always light- LED for night, glass and LEDs for day.
-Decreased air resistance while traveling.
-No cross winds.
-Solar panel space on the top.
-Pollution could then be filtered.

And my favorite?

VERTICAL wind turbines!

They go in the center. As the cars are going opposite directions, there would be a lot of force on these. Yes, initial cost would be there. BUT, this would be a road worth driving on- with very little upkeep, and much better for the vehicles. Imagine if the commute most people had had far less air resistance, created power, and the fumes could be pulled up through simple fans to be filtered.

I won't waste money to drive on the road that is just like any other. But a road like that, I'd spend money on it lol.

I would think the government would love it, since it would be extremely easy to monitor with cameras or even just sensors to track vehicle speeds.

"Sir, our system clocked you exceeding 9 mph 6 times on your trip. That's 6 citations for you. Have a good day!"
Actually there are several more advantages to underground roadways.

No property purchase.
No construction on existing highways.
You could blow the cars through the tubes
You only need about a1 psi difference in air pressure to do that and then the cars would not need to carry long range fuel supplies.

Giffard tubes were the original subway concept. Impossible for two cars to hit each other since they would be compressing the air between themselves.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 05-24-2014 at 09:21 AM..