View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #37 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Actually there are several more advantages to underground roadways.

No property purchase.
No construction on existing highways.
You could blow the cars through the tubes
You only need about a1 psi difference in air pressure to do that and then the cars would not need to carry long range fuel supplies.

Giffard tubes were the original subway concept. Impossible for two cars to hit each other since they would be compressing the air between themselves.

regards
Mech
I was thinking it would be cheaper to build the tunnel around certain current roads.

The psi change, and blowing cars through the tubes sounds a bit Jacque Fresco. Not that it is bad, but his mental process is too advanced. People today aren't interested in such a long term break even point. Putting roofing over tunnels in certain bad areas (above sea level, with snow/ice) would have a good payoff. Especially on a BS system like the turnpike. Government funding, tolls to drive on it, and LE making a tidy profit.

I do like your idea for a more distant future- building a system the best way we can in the future. I would think it would be easier to get people on board if we showed success from another venue.

Oh, and if one believes the 1 out 5 rule, I didn't read the entire act, but this was interesting: One Mile in Five: Debunking the Myth - Vol. 63· No. 6 - Public Roads
I blindly believe it because it comes from .gov, and would think it would have been taken down if it was shenanigans.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.