View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Retro-tech:Mechanical advance==>Programmable ignition

"Black Box"
Is It Possible To Combine Performance And Good Mileage? It Is With CB Performance's New Easy-To-Install Electronic Ignition System.

Even though this is on the HotVWs website, and in the current issue, they say
Quote:
This unit will work with either 4-, 6- and 8-cylineder engines, and the kit comes complete with a 7-foot Flying Lead harness (allowing a variety of mounting locations, such as behind the rear seat), easy-to use Windows based software (XP, Vista, 7 or 8), and all electrical terminals and serial cables (some computers may require a USB to serial adapter).
That it appears in HotVWs explains the "either/and" mangling of the first sentence, and the Windows dependency needs to be fixed right now.

Here's a map for the Bosch 009

Quote:
According to CB, the Black Box has a 21x21 spark table, and is good for up to 10,000 rpm. It incorporates a 5 Bar Map sensor, allowing boosted timing control over 40 psi. It also has an internal low and high end rev limiter (nice feature!), and will connect to ignition points, aftermarket ignition modules (such as Compufire and Pertronix, MSD distributors, and CB’s Magnaspark Ready-to-Run and Magnetic Trigger distributors). Most aftermarket ignition boxes, such as the MSD 6AL, 7AL, Summit and Mallory are also compatible.
I don't understand about the Map [sic] sensor. Surely http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAP_sensor‎ I'm running the Magnaspark distributor they mention. It has a billet housing with Ford components. I trust their parts more than HVWs writing. Still...

Quote:
For example, with our settings we cruised along at 3,200 rpm (approx 70mph) with the timing at 45° for maximum mileage, but the moment we stepped on the throttle the vacuum dropped, and timing dropped with it to 30° to prevent detonation — the best of both worlds! And the second mileage test, over the same highway and at the same gas stations, proved that the engine liked it, as it improved to 31.66mpg, an increase of 3.43mpg, or 12.15%.