View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #42 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

I agree that a staged development would have more chance of success.

I think the big problem is that the solutions with the best long term benefits do not benefit the politicians currently in power and therefore have no hope of being attempted.
Politicians want short term benefits that the general public can see so that they get the credit for the achievement and that is then reflected in the next vote.

I do like the tunnel idea.
Get the roadway down below the frost line and say goodbye to snow and ice issues.
No rain to make the roads slippery and to reduce driver vision.
No danger to livestock or wildlife.
Complete separation of traffic directions. No more oncoming traffic with their high beams left on.
All traffic going the same direction in each tunnel so they all contribute to air movement within the tunnel so everyone gets reduced air resistance as they always have a tail wind.
Solar panels on the roof of the tunnel to supply power to the roadway for lighting etc.
Integrate periodic sensors along the roadway to detect traffic and control which sections of the tunnel are lit.

For the construction, let the mining industry take on the build when falling ore prices make ore mining less profitable. They have loads of heavy equipment designed to move the maximum amount of dirt for the least cost per tonne.
So instead of selling more ore for less money to maintain profit when ore prices drop they could swap over to roadway construction and then go back to ore mining when ore prices rose again.

If you also integrated the electrical grid distribution into the tunnel design then there would be benefits there also. The grid would not be exposed to the elements. It would be readily accessible for maintenance. Any power requirements on the roadway would be easily accommodated.
Ha, i just had a funny vision of an electrified roof and everyone driving around in amusement park bumper cars.