View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

I almost blew the welds on the intake manifold. Yo.

(I know of a guy who blew up an intake manifold. Little bits of plastic everywhere in the engine bay. Stray shot of nitrous...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I disagree that the factory wheels already look "reasonably aerodynamic".
The car has a 0.286 cd. I think the new, flatter wheels help contribute to that. The new Honda City (sedan version of the Fit) also has flat wheels... only these are flat with cutaways, as on the Civic hybrid.

But... yeah... flat covers would help, still... gotta leave some on the plate for a follow-up, if there will be one. I hope they approve a third installment. I really want to see if I can hit 30 km/l at a steady 80 km/h. In that one, I'd definitely do the skirts and the wheel covers. I'm wondering, in fact, if I can find a discarded piece of lexan to make a kammback with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Oh, and have fun defending the partial grille block to the uninitiated! (IE. YOU'RE GONNA MELT UR ENGINE!!)
Funny thing... the tollgate queue in the second part of the series was long enough that the idle started fluctuating from heat soak. Then again, the previous model was already notorious for being sensitive to heat soak. I heat soaked a stock automatic Vios on the highway once simply by getting stuck in fifteen minutes of traffic. Took a while for the transmission to cool down!

I would have gotten out to strip my relief panel open for that segment, but it would have invalidated the results. Forty degrees C in traffic is hot!

Thinking about it, I should have just left the AC on. Because with the extra fan cooling, I never had any problems in city traffic. Weird, huh? I guess the extra bump in idle speed with the compressor on also helps keep the water pump turning faster. I was going to bring one of those laser thermometers, but I forgot. Maybe next time.

-

Also: Hell... it's Top Gear... it has to be fun. But it can be fun and informative at the same time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-27-2014), MetroMPG (06-03-2014)