View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #55 (permalink)
jlk16188
EcoModding Lurker

Jelly Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 50.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
Hello jlk16188:

I'm finding myself in a similar spot as you were, whereas I've been averaging around 37mpg on my 94 Civic Vx, with over 233,000 miles on the engine. My goal is to also achieve the ever coveted 50mpg.

So far, I have done the following:

-Installed & indexed new OEM NKG spark plugs.
-Installed a new OEM wire set from Majestic Honda.
-Installed a new OEM fuel filter/Majestic Honda.
-installed a new OEM cap & rotor/Majestic Honda
-Installed a new air filter.
-Cleaned out the idle control valve (i.e. which fixed my hunting idle)
-Cleaned out the throttle body.
-Did an oil change with Amsoil 5w30 with Amsoil filter.

Soon enough, I plan on installing the new exhaust in addition the the new 5-wire OEM O2 sensor. Given your previous experiences, I'm hoping that you can make additional suggestions to achieve this goal...Thank You.

Make sure you have no check engine codes. My wiring was so hacked up on mine I started throwing parts into it before realizing the CEL was not functional. Once I got all of my wiring mess fixed I had to replace the O2 sensor and fix the ground at the circuit at the thermostat housing.

Have you checked your ignition timing with a timing light? Mine was out and I found that the mechanical timing was also out by one belt tooth. Once that was fixed it seemed obvious the rest was just little stuff.

Also check your EGR system. I though mine was clogged and after modifying the intake manifold to gain access to the EGR ports I found it was clean. Yet again another oop moment when trying to throw things at the car without properly diagnosing the problems.

My VX was a pretty unique case though. It had been hacked up and engines swapped in by raceboy kids that knew nothing of what they were getting themselves into and sold the car once they realized how far over their heads this project really was. Unfortunately for me I got a hold of the car and have been piecing it back together. I had to replace the entire wiring harness for the entire car/engine as a result and have been finding other issues that have been hacked up along the way.