View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markw365 View Post
I think these e-bikes are kind of neat, but man 70lbs. How's it do on the hills? I'm old school human bike power. I need to google these, it may be an interim for someone not used to propelling themselves yet. Oh, here's some data for you. 25mph on a road bike requires about 425-450 watts. On a recumbent you need about 250watts. Aerodynamics are everything, have you thought about going aero, or using the propulsion system off the ebike in a more aero design? 23mph fully upright tells me you probably have around a 1/2-3/4hp motor?
I used to think like that and evolved to the e-bike. If you are doing lots of miles and can't get free batteries I would not do it. I would end up spending 300-400 a year in batteries(SLA).

Hills no problem just give it the gas. Your data is way off from my personal experience. For me at 160 pounds 290w+/- gives 25 mph in the drops on a standard road bike when it' calm.

I prefer the upright position and manuerverbility of a road or mountain bike. The main reason for the e-bike was to cut the time down on the commute. It great for short hops in the TX sun with out ending up soaked in sweat and when the wind is blowing a gale. It's like eco-driving you have to take compromises. It neither a great bike or a great e-scooter but it does a very good job in the middle. YMMV