View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #54 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
When I was hit in the rear end sitting at a stoplight, Progressive tried to only pay for collision damage. My back got tweaked pretty good in the accident, enough impact to bend the frame on my F150.

I thought the estimate was low so I talked with the adjuster and they paid me some for the tweaked back. I told him my back already had issues before the accident but the impact aggrivated the back.

No lawyer, no 40%. I was happy with the settlement.

I would get a couple of estimates to repair the damage just to make sure that you have a good damage assesment. If you own the car outright, as I did, then you can do just enough to get it inspectable and pocket the rest tax free.

You do not have to sign off on any injury to settle the property damage claim, and if they try to hold up the payment for property damage then go for a rental car, especially if you plan to have a shop repair the car. The rental car cost, to them, will make them presss the shop to do the job quickly. Your state may also have a "diminished value" law that allows you to sue the insurance company for the lower selling value of your car after the accident. In Va the insurance companies will fight this, but if you have time available it maybe worth your time to go to court with documentation but not with an attorney. You can threaten them with the " I'll talk with my attorney before settling" which might make them offer a better settlement.

Give yourself time to really asses any injury. That is only fair to you.

The video is superb evidence of the truckers negligence. He should be made to pay for your damage, time, and any expense (lost work) or other incidental costs.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 05-28-2014 at 10:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (05-28-2014)