View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #56 (permalink)
Davo53209@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk16188 View Post
Make sure you have no check engine codes. My wiring was so hacked up on mine I started throwing parts into it before realizing the CEL was not functional. Once I got all of my wiring mess fixed I had to replace the O2 sensor and fix the ground at the circuit at the thermostat housing.

Have you checked your ignition timing with a timing light? Mine was out and I found that the mechanical timing was also out by one belt tooth. Once that was fixed it seemed obvious the rest was just little stuff.

Also check your EGR system. I though mine was clogged and after modifying the intake manifold to gain access to the EGR ports I found it was clean. Yet again another oop moment when trying to throw things at the car without properly diagnosing the problems.

My VX was a pretty unique case though. It had been hacked up and engines swapped in by raceboy kids that knew nothing of what they were getting themselves into and sold the car once they realized how far over their heads this project really was. Unfortunately for me I got a hold of the car and have been piecing it back together. I had to replace the entire wiring harness for the entire car/engine as a result and have been finding other issues that have been hacked up along the way.
The good news to any of this is that I don't have a check engine at all. One of my problems appears to be a vacuum leak that I'm attempting to pin point. Plus, it probably wouldn't hurt to clean out the EGR valve given that my car is a completely stock Civic VX, with 20yrs of potential carbon build-up.

Setting the ignition timing is another matter. I do have a timing light; but I don't quite know how to use it yet. I'd be interesting in hearing any of your insights upon the matter, or if you could, direct to any leads from the internet...preferably, videos.