View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #57 (permalink)
jlk16188
EcoModding Lurker

Jelly Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 50.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
The good news to any of this is that I don't have a check engine at all. One of my problems appears to be a vacuum leak that I'm attempting to pin point. Plus, it probably wouldn't hurt to clean out the EGR valve given that my car is a completely stock Civic VX, with 20yrs of potential carbon build-up.

Setting the ignition timing is another matter. I do have a timing light; but I don't quite know how to use it yet. I'd be interesting in hearing any of your insights upon the matter, or if you could, direct to any leads from the internet...preferably, videos.
Checking ignition timing is really easy. I find it best to do it at night in the dark. First find your crank pulley and turn it until you can see the dashed markings on it and paint them white or some bright color other than rust brown so you can see them.

Your ignition timing is set by rotating the distributor. There are three bolts that hold it to the engine. Loosen then without removing them and this will give you some play and let you rotate the distributor. I like to use a sharpie and mark the current location of the distributor bolt ear in relation to its mount on the cylinder head just for reference.

Your timing light will have 3 wires going to it. The first two are power and ground which you can get from the battery of your car. The the next clips over the #1 spark plug wire, the one closest to the timing belt side of the motor. Once you have that hooked up go into you car at the passenger foot well and find the 2 pin service connector. I use a spade connector to short this out but you can use a paper clip or whatever. This will stop the ECU from trying to correct the ignition timing and allow you to check its actual position.

Now start the car, aim the light down the timing belt cover and pull the trigger. You are trying to line up the gun site looking nubs that stick out off of the timing cover with the lines on the crank pulley you previously painted to gain visibility.

If the timing is set correctly you will see 3 dashed lines close together and the gun site looking nubs will be aimed at the center line. You can rotate the distributor and see how the marks move and changes the timing. Dont be alarmed if you move the distributor and the idle goes up or down in RPM. Once you have it aligned where you want it, tighten down the bolts on the distributor, recheck the timing and youre done.

This is way harder to write out instructions on how to perform than it actually is to do. It can be done in less than 5 minutes and once you look at the car for the timing marks and play around with the timing light you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.