View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
I P&G everywhere possible. I go from 1.5K to 2.5K for each shift with what I can only assume is around a 80% load (scangauge won't read this in my daily driver for whatever reason).

Here's my daily example route from home to work:

---

Open garage, start car and immediately back out. Go down driveway @ ~480 feet hitting maybe 15mph with a little glide at the end, engine on (pretty much the only engine-on glide this whole trip).

I hit the main road and get up to 40MPH, slightly uphill at the end with around 1/8th a mile total acceleration, then engine off glide to the stop (2/3 mile).

From that stop, I get to about 20MPH and glide engine off downhill to the next stop (total of 1/4 mile).

From there, I get up to 35MPH, engine off until I get to around 30MPH, then take advantage of a mild downhill to get back up to 35MPH, engine off coast. Climb a slight incline (around 1/2 a mile at this point from last stop) and, pending traffic, get to about 20-25MPH and go down a nice decline that will get me around 30MPH. Bottom of this decline is nearly 1/4 mile.

At the bottom of the decline, there are a few lights. Typically, straight through the first one and left on the next (as it's a yellow yield left turn), which is 1/3 mile engine off coasting.

Left turn here, typically make it 1/8 mile in and have the accelerate just a bit to get to the next stop sign (400 feet). Another turn, get to around 20mph or less and glide engine off to the next stop (another 1/8th mile).

Another turn, right into a steep uphill face! I'll get up to 25mph, engine off coast up to the top the hill (.1 miles) where I'm around 15MPH, then get to 35MPH on the way down and coast the rest of the way to the next stop (another 2/3 mile).

Finally, get up to 25mph, engine off up a little hill, kick on the engine back on at top of the hill and get back to 25 from usually 20, and glide into work parking lot, engine off coasting.

Total distance: ~3.7 miles.
Total Engine On: ~ 0.85 miles
Total Engine Off: ~ 2.85 miles
Starting elevation: 2217 ft
Ending elevation: 2154 ft

---

From work to home is quite a bit different. Same roads, but much different P&G schedule. Still P&G the whole way, but fighting a lot more uphill and different traffic patterns. Won't map it all out, but I gotta say, knowing the traffic lights from a distance makes all the difference!

Now, if I'm going on the highways, pending traffic, location, etc. it's almost always 55MPH and drop to 40MPH gliding engine off. When hills are around, I'll pulse to 60MPH downhill and get as far as I can going uphill, usually no more than 35MPH. Highway is kind of tough here with high MPH speed limit, though. So I usually keep a keen eye behind me and make sure to get up to a decent speed if anybody is coming up behind me.

Hope all that that I just said above makes sense... lol

The Following User Says Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
mcbota (05-28-2014)