View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #43 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Met the wife for lunch today, about a 46 mile round trip, in the Fiesta, down to Hampton with a stop at the scrap yard for some aluminum and another stop on the way back home. I cheat a little and let the climb up the driveay run the last trips mileage down (read 54.5 at reset) and reset at top of the driveway. .3 mile to the end of the neighborhood 3 pulses and glides to the stop sign at 32 MPG, with a cold engine. Left turn and accelerate to 50 and glide, rinse and repeat 5 times. By 2 miles, I barely hit 50MPG after a .4mile coast from 60 down to 40 to stay above the 6th gear shift point. 2 more miles to the Interstate then the acceleration ramp and a downhill coasting opportunity. Traffic is typically heavy and this time I drop in behind an 18 wheeler, left lane is bumper to bumper with 4-5 car lengths separation. 3 miles down the road following the 18 wheeler and pulse drafting repeatedly, I pass 56 MPG when he exits at Fort Eustis. I coast up the off ramp, which kills some speed and move over to the left lane and pulse downhill to get past merging traffic, then glide down behind another big rig. One more hill and a coast (all engine on) and I'm pushing 58, then shortly after I see 60 MPG. By the time I exit the Interstate almost all the time averaging over the 55 MPH limit, I see the highest MPG I have ever recorded for a similar 22 mile drive, 62.7 MPG. Traffic was soo heavy the speeds were about 7 MPH below normal 65 MPH

Ambient temps were high 80s going there and low 90s coming back. No AC, just a radio to listen to the traffic report to try to avoid a jam on I64 east. Coming back home into the wind and climbing 60 feet.

96.8 miles total on tank
54.3 MPG for this trip
570 miles distance to empty (668.8 predicted total tank)
28054 total vehicle mileage

Last tank was predicted at 614 when I refilled for 52.07 MPG. This one will be better if I don't kill it with short hauls.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 05-28-2014 at 04:08 PM..